The role is covered in the following locations: St Albans, Herts
Hamamatsu Photonics, K.K., headquartered in Hamamatsu City, Japan, enjoys a global presence with production facilities, business locations and associated companies located throughout Asia, Europe, and North America. The company is divided into 7 subsidiaries which are geographically-based and non-competitive. This web site supports the subsidiaries based in Europe and North America.
Our primary production and research facilities, located in Japan, consist of 32 main buildings comprising 177,975 sq. meters or 1,915,545 sq. feet. These facilities house our four product divisions, Solid State, Electron Tube, Systems, the Laser Group; and our research facilities.
Solid State makes an impressive lineup of products which includes devices such as Photodiodes, Photo ICs, PSDs, GbPs devices, IR detectors and image sensors. These devices feature compact size and easy integration.
Electron Tube Center, best known for its PMTs, incorporates a finely-tuned balance or optimum sensitivity, output, stability, and life into all of its products ranging from PMTs to lamps, Fiber Optic Plates to Sensor modules, and PET scanners to UV spotlights.
Systems group creates a wide range of imaging systems used in a diverse spectrum of fields from semiconductor and biomedical to optical measurement and factory automation.
Laser Group, newest division, produces CW semiconductor lasers, pulsed lasers, and high-power semiconductor lasers. Tested to specified standards, all of our devices are known around the world for their quality and consistency.
Behind this commitment to quality stands an equally important commitment to research. Hamamatsu is known for its research into both the basic and applied aspects of the science of light. Working in our labs and through collaborative partnerships with a variety of research organizations, Hamamatsu sees light and its research not only as a springboard for new knowledge and technologies but for the improvement of life itself. This philosophical commitment to research is backed by a strong financial commitment. Over a five year period the company's overal ratio of R&D expenses to net sales averaged 13%. Current research efforts include:
Optical computing that processes information in clusters
Optical wireless infrastructures and contents
The application of optical technology in biotechnology that is based on inter- and intra- cellular communication
PET Systems for medical applications ranging from drug development support to diagnosis of senile dementia and other conditions
Measurement of living organisms using the mutual interaction between light and living organisms
Materials Research, research into the synthesis, breakdown and applications of new materials, for semiconductor lasers and the like
True Health, measuring the physical fitness of athletes and the elderly to learn about the state of true health
Agriculture, exploring the optical environments, such as plant factories, designed for cultivating plants and vegetation.
Products: Digital pathology
Clients: NHS and Private Clinical Labs
Territory: UK and Ireland (60% Travel)
- To identify and develop relationships with Customers / Business Partners in order to progress existing and future business opportunities in the UK and Ireland
- To achieve their Sales Plan for the current year and to develop new growth opportunities for the future
Business Development Manager (and then to Sales Director)
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Build strong relationships with key influencers/stakeholders within specific accounts and industry, identify every opportunity for current & future product set and create additional business opportunities within them
- Manage and protect existing revenue and renewals within the nominated accounts
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all products, understand their market place and what differentiates them from competitors products and services
- Create detailed account plans for each Key Account relevant to structure, strategy, key contacts and a development plan to maximise the opportunity within those accounts
- Provide relevant feedback to Sales Management regarding customer development plans, product requirements, competitor activity and analysis
- Develop, monitor, report and manage an opportunity pipeline to ensure the achievement of monthly, quarterly and annual financial objectives
- Capable to conduct technical demonstrations of Hamamatsu Hardware and Software
- Answer technical and commercial queries in person, VCON, email, phone
- Assist with tender submissions, lead generation and qualification
- Provide market and commercial information to the parent company in Japan as and when required
- Attend relevant briefings and meetings as and when required
- Record all activity on all new customers and prospects in a timely manner and to ensure personal admin tasks are completed on time
Internal: Sales colleagues across all sales group (Internal Sales, Sales Engineers, Group Leaders, General Sales Manager), Sales Order Processing, Technical Services, Warehouse, IT
External: Existing customers, business partners, prospective clients (within stated criteria), HPK and overseas colleagues
Knowledge, Skills, Education, Experience and Personality:
- Sales aptitude is essential (Min. 1 to 3 years sales or application experience ideally pathology).
- Educated to min. Degree level in STEM field e.g. Life Science, Engineering or related Science
- Desirable to have microscopy and/or imaging experience
- Strong communication skills
- Fluent English, both written and oral
- Confident and able to express themself
- Open to share information with the Management Team and HPK
- Willing team player, but driven with a competitive nature
- Self Motivated
- Able to negotiate commercial terms with clients
- Flexible and alert ( can work under pressure and with a sense of urgency )
- Well organised, with good time management skills
Base salary up to £65,000 dependent on experience
Lucrative and achievable company bonus